When looking at the list of video's I was looking for title's that seemed interesting and that I would enjoy learning more about. I choose to watch Late Gothic Art and Architecture: England, 1400-1547 because I enjoyed learning about Gothic art and architecture in the textbook. Coming from a religious background and getting most of my education through private schools I have been learning about Gothic art for many years but not into as much detail as the text and video portrays. The second video I choose to watch was Beyond the Classical: Byzantine and Later Greek Art because when I was reading the textbook and answering the questions of the discussion forms I enjoyed learning about Byzantine but I am did not fully understand the meaning of it. After watching the video I was able to understand it more clearly and found it interesting. Lastly I decided to watch The Measure of All Things: Greek Ar and the Human Figure. I choose this video because I enjoyed learning about Greek art and the history of Greece. Also I enjoyed learning about the gods and goddesses of Greece and the influence they had and still have on art today. It was also to learn about sculptures and how they are made.
More Human Than Human was an interesting video. This video portrayed how images dominate our lives. This video also discusses the emotions that someone should feel with art, what to think, how to feel. 100,000 years of history have passed and ancient art is still be discovered. The ancient Egyptians painted images of the human body on the walls of caves and tunnels. Precision was a key aspect for the Egyptians, when creating cravings for the Pharaoh or pyramids everything needed to be exact. Statues were created to scale and could not be designed differently. Many of the artists today consider ancient Egyptians to of been obsessed with the way art needed to be created. In the video of Late Gothic Art and Architecture the main objective was for the viewer to understand Gothic art and how and why it was created. In this video I learned about how stain glass and sculptures and how much of the artwork was destroyed by reformation. Also I learned that the artwork you see in church's is only part of the story behind Gothic art and architecture. The video of Beyond the Classical: Byzantine and Late Greek Art was about Patharon. The Patharon is most important and is still standing. Also I learned about the Benaki museum and how the art and culture still continues today. I also learned about Constaine and how him becoming a Christian was influential in art. Athena, Zeus and Plato are still displayed in the academy in Greece. And finally in The Measure of All Things: Greek Art and the Human Figure that the skyline of Greece is one of the most famous feature in the world. Many of the discoveries that were made and still being made are found underground. It was also interesting to learn about the original Olympic games in Greece and the first game was 776BC. Also there is a particular order and arrangement that the statues need to be displayed in.
The 4 video's I watched related to the textbook in many ways. Throughout the chapter topics such as the ancient Egyptians, Gothic art and architecture, the Byzantine and Greek culture were all talked about in detail. In both the video's and the chapter I learned about many of the same topics and how these historical things influence art today and how art was originated. Also the video's helped clarify many of the questions I had particularly with the Byzantine. Also seeing images and video's of the material we are covering helps me understand things.
I really enjoyed watching the video's. Although they were time consuming they seemed to help me understand things more clearly. I also enjoyed seeing the statues and the scenery of Greece. Personally I understand things more clearly for the image or video view and I am more of a visual learner. Reading is interesting but in many instances I understand stands things more clearly seeing. These video's were interesting to watch and I am satisfied with the 3 video's I choose to watch. They added depth to my understand of ancient art.
No comments:
Post a Comment